Disease-free life and achievement of the divine is the initial benefit of Yoga. In Anulom Vilom Pranayam (Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique), we churn the Prana in Ida Nadi and Pingala Nadi by which 72 million Nadis are awakened along with Sushumna.
In the package of pranayama, Anulom Vilom Pranayam (Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique) is very important to purify the nerves and give them strength.
It is practiced after Bahya Pranayama and before Bhramari Pranayama. Anulom Vilom Pranayama and Kapalbhati Pranayama, these two are the most important Pranayama practice which can remedy hundreds of diseases.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam Meaning & How It Works
In the yoga science, the left nose is known as the Ida Nadi, the right nose is referred to as the Pingala Nadi and the middle part of the nose is known as Sushumna Nadi.
The left nose is known as the Ganga, the right nose is known as the Yamuna and the middle part of the nose is known as Saraswati.
From the left side of the spinal cord, the Ida Nadi starts, the Pingala Nadi starts from the right side and the Sushumna Nadi starts from the middle of the spinal cord.
All the three Nadis start from the Muladhara chakra and meet at the Agya chakra. We can purify all these Nadis by practicing Anulom Vilom pranayama.
Moon and Sun these two powers are found in the universe. These two energies are balanced with Anuloma Viloma Pranayama. Our Body’s anabolism and catabolism get balanced by Anulom Vilom Pranayam, which makes the body metabolism good.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam Steps
- Find a clean and calm location.
- Sit down on the floor in Padamasana, Sukhasana or Siddhasana, keep your back straight and keep a little smile on your face.
- Put your hands in Vayu Mudra. Only the right hand will be used in this entire process. Use the right-hand thumb to close your right nostril and use the ring finger & middle finger to close your left nostril.
- Place the thumb on your right nostril and take a long breath from left nostril.
- Now remove the thumb from the right nostril and place the ring finger and middle finger on your left nostril and then release the breath from the right nostril (Do not leave breath right away.).
- Repeat this process for 1 min after that take 10-15 sec rest and then start again.
Anuloma Viloma Pranayam Benefits
- Physical, mental, emotional balance is done by doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama.
- All the imbalance chemicals and hormones present inside the body, they all have balanced by doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama.
- For those who have paralysis, this Pranayam is beneficial.
- This Pranayam is very beneficial for those who have Epilepsy, migraine pain, depression, stress, and anxiety problem.
- Anuloma Viloma Pranayama gives benefits to Heart Patients – It removes the blockages of the heart and makes our heart healthy.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing Pranayama is one of the most important and beneficial Pranayam practice for High Blood Pressure and Low Blood Pressure patient.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayam gives benefits to autoimmune diseases, SLE, MS patients.
- It is also helpful for those who get angry at small things.
- Anulom Vilom purifies all the veins and nerves present in the body.
- It frees man from the deficiencies of body, sense, and mind and leads to higher consciousness and the aura become strong.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique is also beneficial for eyes.
- By doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama, facial glow increases.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam Precautions and Things To Keep In Mind
- If you feel any discomfort then reduce the duration of breathing.
- Those people who have recently undergone abdomen surgery, brain surgery or heart surgery, should consult the specialist before doing this pranayama.
- Do not do this or any Pranayama forcefully.
- Keep the breathing ratio (2.5 sec: 2.5 sec) of inhaling and exhaling same.
- During your initial stage or first day do Anulom Vilom Pranayama for 1 min and gradually increase the duration.
- Do this Pranayama after 2-3 hour of your meal.
- Sit in the correct posture while practicing the Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique.
- Do not use the left hand only use the right hand.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam Duration
Whenever you get the time, you can do Anuloma Viloma Pranayama. The ideal duration for Anulom Vilom Pranayam is 5-10 minutes. Initially do this Pranayam for 1 min. When you practice Anuloma Viloma pranayama, take 2.5 seconds while inhaling and take 2.5 seconds while exhaling. Thus the whole duration of one round is of 5 seconds.
The longer the duration of inhalation and exhalation, the more it will benefit you. Long breath does not mean to apply the force of your breathing, it means breathing in slow motion. In incurable diseases, Anulom Vilom Pranayam is done for 20-30 minutes.
Anuloma Viloma Pranayama Side Effects
There is no side effect of Anulom Vilom Pranayam unless you are doing it in a wrong way. While doing this Pranayam, make sure you start breathing with your left nostril and also finish it by exhaling from your left nose.