The primary benefits of Pranayama (breathing exercises) are to reduce the level of stress and anxiety and Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breathing Technique) is one of the best Yoga breathing exercise to reduce stress level and other mental disorders. Through this article, we will teach you how a beginner can start Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breath) and its amazing health benefits.
Bhramari Pranayama is the best pranayama to calm the mind and eliminate the frustration and anger of the mind. This pranayama is quite simple and it can be done anytime anywhere throughout the day.
What Is Bhramari Pranayama?
Bhramari means making a sound like a bee and a Pranayama means the extension of prana. In Bhramari Pranayama we produced a sound like a bee during the exhalation that is why it is known as Bhrmari Pranayama or Bee Breathing Technique. Bhramari Pranayama is also known as Humming Bee breath.
This Pranayama is beneficial for every single person. From child to old, everyone can practice Bhramari Pranayama and take the advantages of it. Bhramari breath is a divine transformation of a person’s mind, thoughts, body, etc. By Bhramari Breathing Technique, the person gets bliss and happiness.
How to do Bhramari Pranayama – Step By Step Guide
In the process of pranayama, the practice of Bhramari Breath will be practiced before Udgeeth Pranayam and after Anulom Vilom Pranayam. Here is a complete step by step guide for beginners to learn the Bhramari Pranayama technique.
- Find a peaceful place where the atmosphere is fresh.
- Sit on Padmasana, Sukhasana or Sidhasana, in which you feel comfortable and have a little smile on your face.
- Sit in the east direction, it will provide more benefits.
- Loose your whole body, don’t apply pressure in any part of the body and keep your back straight.
- Close your ears with your thumbs (put the thumbs on tragus), put the index figures above the eyebrows and rest three figure over the eyes.
- Apply gentle pressure on the upper part of the nose with the middle finger.
- Take a deep breath from your both nostrils. While inhaling chant OM in your mind and full fill your lung with the air.
- Leave breathe from both the nostrils by making a sound like a bee, like mmmmmmmmmmmmm….. (humming sound). Feel the vibration of the bee sound over your face and other parts of the body.
- Keep in mind that while leaving out the breath, the bee’s voice comes out from the throat. Continue this sound with rhythm until the whole breath comes out.
- You can also focus on Agya Chakra (Between the eyebrows) while performing the Bhramari Pranayam.
Bhramari Pranayama Duration
There is no limit to practice Bee breath Pranayama technique. Once you start doing it you can do this for up to 30 minutes. The minimum duration for Bhramari Pranayama is 5 mins and maximum duration is 20-30 min. However, the person can able to perform it for 5-10 min that is also a good duration.
Breathing Ratio Of Bhramari Pranayama
The ideal ratio for Bhramari Pranayama is 2:4. That means, take 4 seconds time in inhalation (Puraka) and 8 seconds time in Exhalation (Rechaka). You can also practice it with Kumbhaka (holding the breath in). The ideal ratio with Kumbhaka for bee breath is 2:2:4. Take 4 sec in inhalation, 4 sec in Kumbhaka and 4 seconds in exhalation. When you become a master in Bee Breath yoga then you can gradually increase your ratio according to your stamina.
Best time to Do Bhramari Pranayam (Bee Breath)
Bhramari Breath gives you more benefits as early as you practice it in the morning. The best time to do Bhramari Pranayam is before the sunrise. You can also do Bhramari breath before bed (2-3 hour after dinner), it will help you in better sleep. You can also practice this during the day.
Benefits Of Bhramari Pranayama
If we are aware of the benefits we get from something, then we wholeheartedly do that thing. Therefore, it is also important to know about the benefits of Bhramari pranayama.
In addition to gaining benefits in mental disorders, there are many other benefits of Bhramari pranayama too. Let’s know about all of these.
- There is no better cure for stress management, Self-peace, self-discipline, self-healing, self-realization except Bhramari breath.
- Bhramari breathing technique cure Hypertension.
- The high blood pressure can be completely cured by Humming bee pranayama technique.
- If you want to avoid heart diseases, then do Bhramari breath every day.
- Bhramari Pranayam is very healful in removing the heart blockages.
- The vibration of bee breathing has a special effect on our brain hence it is highly beneficial for all diseases like Epilepsy, headache, migraine, hypertension, stress, anguish, panic attack, etc.
- Through the practice of bee breath pranayama, the intellect becomes sharp, self-confident increases and the mind becomes calm.
- Bhramari breath is beneficial for those people who get angry over small things.
- Bee breath pranayama eliminates the negative energy inside the body.
- It helps in Paralysis.
- Bhramari pranayama is also useful for insomnia patient.
Bhramari Pranayama Precaution
Although there is no harmful effect of Bhramari Pranayam. But by doing it in a wrong way may create some minor problems. So follow the instruction care full or perform the practice under a Yoga teacher.
- Put your thumb on the tragus, not inside the ear.
- Practice the Pranayam with the empty stomach or after 4-5 hour of your meal.
- Do not press the tragus of the ear too hard, apply gentle pressure.
- Try to perform the Pranayam early in the morning, before the sunrise.
- Close your mouth during the Pranayam. Do not do the pranayama forcefully, you can take rest after 2,3 minutes or whenever you feel tired.
- If you have an ear problem then avoid the Bharamri Pranayama.
Side Effects of Bhramari Pranayama (Bee Breath)
There is no side effect of Bhramari Pranayam, its practice should always start from 3 times. Mean to say that, if you are a beginner at Bhramari Pranayama, then do it only 3 times on the first day. Then gradually increase the round to 5 times and then 11 times. 11 times is enough, but if you want to practice more then you can do. But do not exceed your stamina. Also, keep the above precautions in your mind.