In this article, you will know what is Kapalbhati Pranayam and you will learn the right way to do Kapalbhati Pranayama and also get to know the amazing health benefits of practicing Kapalbhati breathing. It is known as Rapid Exhalation in modern medical science.
Meaning of Kapalbhati: The meaning of the Kapal is “skull” and “Bhati” means “light”.
Practicing Kapalbhati creates a light, grace, and glow on our forehead. The pranayama, which creates the sharpness or glows on the forehead or on the brain, is called Kapalbhati.
Some scholars consider this yoga practice as Pranayam, while other scholars call it the Shathkarma.
In Kaplabhati, the speed of breathing is slow and the strength of the exhaling is strong. Breathe at normal speed and pay attention to the exhalation. Close both the eyes and focus on the Agya Chakra and experience freshness and strength.
How To Do Kapalbhati Pranayama & Its Benefits, Side Effects
When foreign elements are stored in the body, then only diseases are born. While doing Kapalbhati pranayama, think in your mind that all the poisonous substances, oxidants, negative energy are coming out of my body. When there are no toxic substances in the body then there will be no diseases in your body.
Whether you do breakfast in the morning or not, but definitely practice Kapalbhati Pranayam. Take the oath in life that I will not have breakfast before doing Kapalbhati Pranayama. As a result, you will never be sick in your whole life.
In this Breathing Practice, you have to leave the breath out from your nostrils with power, by doing so your stomach goes inside itself. Those who want to stay healthy and get rid of complex diseases, they should practice Kapalbhati Pranayam every day.
Kapalbhati Pranayam is considered as Sanjivani Booti (Sanjeevini Herb) of the Earth. According to yoga guru Baba Ramdev, there is no such disease in the earth which cannot be cured by Kapalbhati.
How To Do Kapalbhati Pranayama – Step By Step Guide
Kapalbhati Pranayama is an exercise of the stomach. Before starting the exercise, if you have acidity problem or joint pain, then practice Kapalbhati by holding the Vayu mudra (put the index finger on the root of the thumb).
If you want s to lose the weight then you should practice it by putting the Surya Mudra (put the ring finger on the root of the thumb). Follow these steps given below for Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- Sit in a quiet place where the atmosphere is clean.
- Padmasana or Sukhasana or Siddhasana, sit in that posture in which you feel comfortable and keep a gentle smile on your face.
- Face facing towards east direction.
- Leave your body loose, do not put pressure on any part of the body and keep your back straight.
- Now take a light breath and remove it from both your nostrils. When you blow your breath out, your stomach naturally goes in. Just like every time breathe normally and leave it to the outside.
- On the first day, do this pranayama 30 times (1 stroke in 1 second). If you are suffering from hypertension or are heart patients, do not intimidate it.
- While doing Kapalbhati, concentrate on the Muladhara Chakra. Focusing on the Muladhara Chakra leads to the awakening of Kundalini.
- When practicing Kapalbhati, think that all the diseases and impurities inside me are coming out.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Precautions
There are some points that each practitioner should follow before or during Kapalbhati Pranayam (Breathing) practice. Wrong practice can have various side effects.
- Do not encroach on your power. When you feel tired, relax for 10-15 seconds.
- Those who have heart problems or have hypertension, they should practice Kapalbhati gradually. Do not exercise fast.
- The person who is weak should also practice Kapalbhati gradually.
- If you have problems with a hernia, back pain, epilepsy, consult a doctor before practicing this pranayama and practice it easily.
- If you have done a recent operation, then do this pranayama only after 5-6 months of operation.
- Do not practice Kapalbhati during pregnancy.
- Do not shake your body while practicing.
- If there is any disease related to eye disease or ear, do not practice it.
Types of Kapalbhati Pranayama
According to the Hatha Yoga texts, there are 3 types of Kapalbhati described which are Vatakrama, Yyutkrama, and Sheetkarma Kapalbhati. Let’s know about them in detail.
1. Vatakrama Kapalbhati
It is a matter of note in this that in today’s times, the way we practice Kapalbhati (which we described below) this is not Vatakarma Kapalbhati described by Maharishi Gharana.
In Vaatakarma Kapalbhati, we breathe in from the Ida Nadi (left nostril) and exhale from the Pingala Nadi (right nostril). Again we have to inhale from the Pingala Nadi and then have to exhale from the Ida Nadi. This is like Anulom Vilom Pranayama. We have to inhale and exhale slowly in this practice.
Benefits: Cough deficiencies are redressed.
2. Vyutkarma Kapalbhati
In Vyutkarma, you have to take the water inside from our both nostrils and then have to take the water out of the mouth.
3. Sheetkarma Kapalbhati
This is the opposite of Vyutkarma Kapalbhati. In this, you have to take water from the mouth and remove out it from the nostrils.
Benefits: It saves us from cold and cough deficiencies are remedied.
Duration of Kapalbhati Pranayam
After initializing 30 times you are completely exhausted. Then rest for 10-15 seconds and start again. Do this for 1-2 minutes on the first day and gradually increase the practice every day. The maximum time for Kapalbhati is 10 minutes and the minimum time is 5 minutes for a healthy person. In complex diseases like cancer, AIDS, hepatitis, liver damage it is practiced twice a day for 20-30 minutes.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Ratio
The ratio of 1:30 for a beginner and heart patient is sufficient, which means that 30 strokes in 1 minute. After daily practice, you can gradually increase the ratio to 1:60 and then 1:120. The ratio of 1:120 to a healthy person is good. High blood pressure patients do not exceed the ratio of 1:60.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Benefits
The ancient sage knew that human beings would forget to live their lives in the coming time. Keeping these things in mind, thousands of years ago, they created such a method that can change lives and benefits can be found in many different types of diseases.
Today there are many diseases which treatment are not present in modern medical science. It is said that such diseases can also be cured by Kapalbhati Pranayama. 99% of illness can be cured by Kapalbhati breathing. Some health benefits of Kapalbhati breathing techniques are given below.
- Kapalbhati is especially useful in enhancing the aura of the face. You will not need to put any kind of cosmetic to make your face beautiful, you just practice Kapalbhati every day.
- If you want to reduce obesity, then practice Kapalbhati daily for 10-20 minutes. This pranayama is also effective in weight gain.
- Those who want to get rid of constipation and keep the stomach always healthy, they should definitely practice this pranayama.
- Capillary breathing technique is also beneficial in cirrhosis of liver and acidity.
- This pranayama is very beneficial for the concentration of mind. If children/student practice it, then their mind will start studying. Therefore, children should also practice this pranayama.
- Those who are suffering from hepatitis B, they should practice Kapalbhati morning and evening every day for 15-30 minutes.
- This breathing technique completely eliminates the problem of the prostate.
- Kapalbhati Pranayam provides benefits even in uterine tumors.
- This pranayama also gives benefits to diabetic patients.
- Beneficial in reducing cholesterol.
- Beneficial in removing the heart blockages.
- Those who have problems like sneezing, snoring, allergies, asthma, they should practice Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- Kapalbhati breathing technique also provides benefits in shivering disorder.
- This Pranayam is also capable of melting cancer knots.
- It is also effective in stress.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Side Effects
There are some side effect of Kapalbhati if not done correctly. Headache, dizziness, lack of stability in thoughts, nausea, restlessness are some of its common symptoms. If you feel these symptoms, stop the practice.
FAQs Related to Kapalbhati Pranayama
Below are some frequently asked questions on Kapalbhati Pranayam that will clarify all your remaining doubts and queries. If you still have any questions, feel free to leave your question on the comment box below.
Question: I practice Kapalbhati but no benefits happen to me?
Answer: Kapalabhati Pranayama has to be constantly practiced. If you practice it for 2 days and then stop practicing for 1-2 days then you will not get any benefit from it. You have to practice it every day.
In the beginning, you start your practice with 1-2min. But as soon as the days pass, you need to increase the range of practice. That is, if you practice unstoppable for 10-15 minutes, then you will start seeing benefits in one or two weeks.
Question: Can I gain weight by doing Kapalbhati?
Answer: Yes you can gain weight by practicing Kapalbhati. Practice it for 8-10 min daily by sitting in Prithvi Mudra (connecting ring finger top and thumb top).
Question: Can I practice Kapalbhati in colitis?
Answer: Yes you can but practice it very slowly.
Question: Can I practice Kapalbhati in Slip Disc?
Answer: Yes you can. It is not necessary that you practice only by sitting in the ground, you can practice this Pranayam even by sitting in the chair during slip disc problem.
Question: Can I practice in High Blood Pressure?
Answer: If you do it intensely then it is wrong. If you practice slowly, then high blood loss starts to be normal too.
Question: Can I practice Kapalbhati Pranayam after the operation?
Answer: Practice Kapalbhati after 6-7 months in the operation of the abdomen and heart.
Question: Best time to practice Kapalbhati?
Answer: Morning is the best time to practice it. Practice it with the empty stomach or 4-5 hour after the meal.
Question: Is it safe to do Kapalbhati during girls period?
Answer: During periods and pregnancy of women, practicing Kapalbhati should be avoided as it involves stomach movements.
Question: How long do I have to practice Kapalbhati Pranayama to get a flat stomach?
Answer: As we discussed in the first question. Permanence and continuity are important in Kapalbhati Pranayama. If you practice it 20-30 minutes every day for 2 months, you will definitely lose weight and get a flat stomach. But do not think that you will also get the abs.
Question: Can I drink warm water or tea before Kapalbhati?
Answer: Yes, you can drink warm water before doing Kapalbhati but practice it 5-10 minutes after drinking water. If you really feel thirsty in between the practice then you can drink 1-2 sip of water. But if you drink tea before Kapalbhati, then it should be practiced 1 to 2 hours after drinking tea.
Question: What is the best time to do Kapalbhati Pranayama?
Answer: To practice Kapalbhati, morning time is the best time before sunrise. Practice it in the evening after 4-5 hours of the meal and 1 hour before dinner.