It is also known as Chin lock or Throat lock. Jalandhara Bandha is considered as a very important bandha in Ashtanga Yoga.
Jalandhar Bandha means shrinking the tube of breath. There is no literal meaning in Jalandhar, it is believed that this Bandha was invented by a sage called Jalandharipaad, hence the name of this lock is named after him.
This lock is so powerful that by practicing this, man can get out of any complex disease. Because the blood starts circulating smoothly in our hearts, brain, and spinal cord.
There are many nerves in our head, by which our body is functioning, in such cases, the health of these nerves is very important. Practicing this bond has an impact on our sixteen nerves.
How to do Jalandhara Bandha Step by step
- Sit down comfortably in Padmasana or Siddhasan or Swastika or Bhadrasana.
- Keep the back, neck, and chest straight.
- Keep both hands on the knees in Dhyan Mudra.
- Take a long breath and stop breathing inside. Now tilt the head in the forward direction and touch the upper part (on the Jugular Notch) of the chest by your chin. While doing so, lift the chest upwards so that the chin can easily touch the chest. Hold this position according to your stamina.
- Now relax the body then raise the head up and slowly breathe out.
- This is called Jalandhar Bandh, do this 5-10 times.
- Practice of this Kriya can also be done by standing up.
Preacutions and things to keep in Mind while practicing Chin lock
- Do not push the neck portion down or upwards.
- Keep the throat muscles relaxed.
- Place the chin spot, throat and head in a straight line.
- If there is any problem related to the throat or neck, consult the doctor before practicing it.
- Do not do it forcefully.
- Do not consume alcohol and non veg food
- Those who have pain in the throat or colds and cough, do not practice this Kriya.
Benefits of Jalandhara Bandha
- This bond is very beneficial for the thyroid and parathyroid glands.
- By doing this, the brain gets relief.
- This destroys the ego and it cleanses the intellect.
- Help in awakening the kundalini power (Vishuddhi chakra).
- Removes bladness and purifies the speech.
- It removes mental depression, anxiety, anger, irritability.
- Increases mental concentration and improves memory power.
- Keeps the whole body healthy.
Special about Jalandhar Bandh
It is described in the scriptures that the elixir, which drip from the sahasrara chakra located in the upper part of the head, that elixir keeps burning inside the navel. Therefore, practicing Jalandhar Bandha, the seeker can capture that elixir. It also presses Ida and Pingala nadis and flows prana through Shushuma.