“Bahya” means “external/outer” and “Pranayam” means “breathing” i.e Bahya Pranayama meaning external Breath. By external Pranayam, our inner powers are awakened from the cortex to the Sahasrara Chakra. This Pranayama is practiced after Kapalbhati Pranayam and before Anulom Vilom Pranayam.
With this Pranayam, the power of Kundalini can be awakened. By doing Kapalbhati Pranayam, the energy of Muladhara, Swadisthan and Manipur Chakra is awakened. Bahya Pranayam takes this awakened power to the next level.
How to do Bahya Pranayama Step by Step
- In this Pranayam, first, we breathe deeply and then apply 3 bands. Touching the throat by your chin is known as Jalandhar bandh (Chin Lock). Shrinking the stomach is known as the Uddiyan bandh (Abdominal Lock). Pulling upside the navel part is known as Mool bandh (Root Lock).
- When you inhale and exhale completely then apply these 3 Bandha i.e Jalandhara Bandha, Uddiyana Bandha, and Mula Bandha.
- Now inhale and exhale completely (hold your breath outside) and then touch your throat from your chin, pull your stomach inside and pull your stomach navel part upside (by holding your breath, as shown in the above picture).
- Now breathe and gradually release all 3 locks.
- Repeat the process 3-7 times.
- You can hold your breath outside 10-30 according to your stamina.
Bahya Pranayama Benefits
- By the way, there are so many benefits of Bahya Pranayam, but it is very advantageous mainly for the Mooladhara, Swadisthana and the Manipura chakra.
- Bahya Pranayama is beneficial for a hernia and diabetes.
- It prevents constipation, acidity and stomach disorders.
- It gives benefits to the patient of Bio-A Fistula.
- This Pranayam is very advantageous for those who have problems with the uterus, apoplexy, and colic.
- Bahya Pranayam is beneficial for all diseases related to the uterus.
- This Pranayam also benefits in the prostate, kidney, and intestinal disorders.
- Give benefits to urine related diseases.
- This pranayama is beneficial for pancreas because its direct effect falls on our digestive system.
Bahya Pranayama Precautions and things to keep in mind
- Never do Bahya Pranayama forcefully.
- Those who have cervical pain, do not apply Chin Lock.
- Practice this Pranayam with the empty stomach or after 4-5 hour of your meal.
- Heart and high blood pressure patients should not do this Pranayam.
- Women should not do this Pranayam during menstruation.
- Do not do this Pranayam more than 2 minutes.
Bahya Pranayam Duration
The ideal duration of Bahya Pranayam for normal people is 1 min and 2 min for healthy people. When you release the breath and apply all 3 lock hold your breath for 20-30 sec, 10-15 sec is also beneficial.
Bahya Pranayama Side Effects
Practicing this Pranayam for long period may create some problems, so do not do it for more than 2 minutes. After a long practice, there is a lack of oxygen in our brain which may cause harm to other sensitive cells including the brain.