In Maha Bandha “Maha” means “great” and “Bandha” means “bond” or “Lock”. By practicing this yoga, the vital breath can be stopped on any part of the body. This yoga asana is a combination of three Bandha i.e Jalandhara Bandh, Uddiyan Bandh, and Mool Bandh. That is why it is known as Maha Bandha Yoga or Tri Bandha.
Maha Bandha Yoga helps in the distribution of energy in the body. Regular practice also helps in the disposition of blood in the body. While practicing the Maha Bandha, we leave the breath out, through which all the negative energy present in the body also comes out. Tri Bandh has been classified as mudra or yogic posture in ancient texts. As a mudra, it helps in channeling the pranic energy within our body in a certain way.
Maha Bandha Steps
- Spread your mat in a clean area.
- Sit down comfortably in Padmasan or Siddhasan or Sukhasana. If you are not able to sit down, then you can also practice it by sitting on the chair.
- Keep your hands in the Dhyan Mudra on your knees and note your breaths for a while. Keep your eyes close.
- Take a deep breath now and leave it outside compeletly. Now apply Jalandhar bandh (touch your chest with your chin), then apply Uddiyana Bandh (pull your stomach inside), and finally, apply the Moola Bandh (drag the abdomen area in the upper direction).
- In doing so, concentrate from the Mooladara chakra to the Sahastrar Chakra.
- Stay in this position according to your stamina.
- Now remove all the Bandhas one by one and then breathe slowly. This is one round of Great lock. Take a break of 10-15 seconds after each round and then start again.
- Practice this 5-10 times.
- Practice this lock only when you have learned Jalandhar, Uddiyan and Mula Bandh.
Benefits of Maha Bandha or Great Lock or Tri Bandha
- The pineal and pituitary glands are stimulated in the brain, by which their hormonal secretions are harmonized.
- Wonderful for Kundalini awakening.
- In Maha Bandha, we get a combined benefit of all the three Bandhs.
- Benecficial in semen protection and makes the semen stroger.
- By practicing this lock, many accomplices are automatically attained.
- There is a confluence of Ida, Pingala, and Sushumna Nadis.
- Regular practice of great lock increases gastric hypertrophy. By which digestion power is strengthened.
- It is beneficial for the whole body, especially for the nervous system, internal organs, muscles, and nerves.
- It enhances the positivity in the person.
- By practicing Maha Bandh, the mind remains calm.
Precautions to be taken while practicing Maha Bandha
- Pregnant women should avoid this asana.
- Maha Bandha should not be practiced by people suffering from heart disease, stomach or intestinal ulcers, strokes, paralysis, and hernia.
- Women should not practice this posture at the time of menstruation.
- High blood pressure, glaucoma, and heaviness in the head is a contraindication.