Ujjayi Pranayama is very beneficial for thyroid and all throat related problems. “Ujjayi” means “victory” and “pranayama” means breathing. This Pranayam is known as Ocean Breath in English. In Yoga science, it is believed that the problem and disorders occur in our body is due to the accumulation of bile and flagon.
How to do Ujjayi Pranayama correctly step by step
- Sit down comfortably in Padmasana or Siddhasana or Sukhasana.
- Keep your hands on Dhyan Mudra or Vayu Mudra.
- Leave your body loose.
- Focus on your breathing for 10-15 seconds.
- Now shrink your throat and inhale (take a deep breath) from your both nostrils (your mouth remain close) by making a hhhmmmmmm noise.
- Now hold your breath and apply Jalandhar bandha (Chin Lock). You can also apply Mool Bandha (Root Lock).
- After holding your breath for 10-15 sec or according to your stamina, remove Chin Lock, put your right-hand thumb on your right nostril and release the breath from your left nostril.
- Repeat this pranayama 5-10 time and remember you have to release the breath from your left nostril every time.
Understand Ujjayi Pranayama in more detail
In Ujjayya Pranayam, we leave the breath only with the left nostril. The meaning of Ujjayi Pranayam, in English, is “Breath of Fire”.
If you still confused how to do Ujjayi Pranayam let us give you an example – When you clear your throat, you make a sound like Aham Aham or while Singh Asana Pranayama Practice. Focus on the point where you are applying pressure to create the sound or from where the sound is coming.
In Ujjayi Pranayama when you tighten your throat apply little force to that specific point to create sound while breathing from your nostrils. Focus on creating the sound from your throat while breath from your nostrils.
Ujjayi Pranayama Benefits
- Ujjayi Pranayam can cure your thyroid problem permanently.
- It also helps in removing heart blockage.
- This pranayama is very suitable for those who have a cough, sinus, and allergy problem.
- This is beneficial to all those who have the infection and tonal problems in their throat all time.
- This gives benefits to throat related allergic problem.
- Beneficial in snoring problem.
- By doing this Pranayam, all the harmful toxins inside our body come out.
- Treat Sudden breath stopped while sleeping at night (Sleep Apnea).
- This pranayama also cures swelling of the throat.
- Ujjayi Pranayam removes the heat of the brain.
- It is also beneficial for throat mucus.
- It improves our digestive system.
- Beneficial to those who have stammering and lisp problem.
Ujjayi Pranayama Precaution
- Initially, do this pranayama gradually.
- If you are high blood pressure or Heart patient then keep the duration short and do not apply any lock.
- Do it with the empty stomach or 4-5 hour after the meal.
- If you are a beginner keep the duration of this Pranayam short.
- If you feel a headache or dizziness, stop practicing immediately.
- Do not do it forcefully.
Best time to do Ujjayi Pranayama
- Practice it early in the morning before sunrise.
- Practice it after Kapalbhati Pranayam and before Bahya or Anulom Vilom Pranayam.
- In evening do it after 5-6 hour of your meal.
Ujjayi Pranayama duration
- The inhaling and exhaling duration on this Pranayam should be 5-10 sec. If your stamina is low then, in the beginning, you can reduce the duration of inhaling and exhaling by 2-5 sec.
- People who have thyroid problems, they can treat thyroid without medicines. They will have to practice this Pranayam for 5-10 minutes daily. You can practice this pranayama even for 10-20 minutes.
- Children practice this pranayama 7 times. Children’s above 12 years can practice this Pranayam for 10-12 times.
- If you are suffering from the above-given problems (as mentioned in Ujjayi Pranayama benefits), then you can practice this Pranayam 15-20 times 0r 10-20 minutes.