Anulom – Vilom is a Yoga Pranayama and Pranayama means breathing technique. In this article, you will know how to do Anulom Vilom and you will know how important this breathing exercise (Pranayam) is for a healthy life.
Healthy life and achievement of the divine is the initial benefit of Yoga. Anulom Vilom Pranayama is also known Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique in medical Science, In Anulom Vilom Pranayama, we churn the Prana in three Nadis (Nerves) Ida Nadi, Pingala Nadi, and Sushumna Nadi by which 72 million Nadis are awakened.
In the package of pranayama, Anulom Vilom Pranayam (Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique) is very important to purify the nerves and strengthen the nerves.
It is practiced after Bahya Pranayama and before Bhramari Pranayama. Anulom Vilom Pranayama and Kapalbhati Pranayama, these two are the most important Pranayama practice which acts as a remedy for hundreds of diseases.
How To Do Anulom Vilom Pranayama And Its Health Benefits
In yoga science, the left nose is known as the Ida Nadi, the right nose is referred to as the Pingala Nadi and the middle part of the nose is known as Sushumna Nadi.
The left nose is known as the Ganga, the right nose is known as the Yamuna and the middle part of the nose is known as Saraswati.
From the left side of the spinal cord, the Ida Nadi starts, the Pingala Nadi starts from the right side and the Sushumna Nadi starts from the middle of the spinal cord.
All the three Nadis start from the Muladhara chakra and meet at the Agya chakra. We can purify all these Nadis by practicing Anulom Vilom pranayama.
Moon and Sun these two powers are found in the universe. These two energies are balanced with Anuloma Viloma Pranayama. Our Body’s anabolism and catabolism get balanced by Anulom Vilom Pranayam, which makes the body metabolism work well.
Step By Step Guide For Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Here is the guide for Anulom Vilom, follow these instructions given below step by step.
- Find a clean and calm location.
- Sit down on the floor in Padamasana, Sukhasana or Siddhasana, keep your back straight and keep a little smile on your face.
- Put your hands in Vayu Mudra. Only the right hand will be used in this entire process. Use the right-hand thumb to close your right nostril and use the ring finger & a middle finger to close your left nostril.
- Placing the thumb on your right nostril and take a long breath from left nostril.
- Now remove the thumb from the right nostril and place the ring finger and middle finger on your left nostril and then release the breath from the right nostril (Do not leave breath right away).
- Repeat this process for 1 min after that take 10-15 sec rest and then start again.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama is not one-day practice. Do it regularly and experience its miracle
If you have any doubt on these instructions, feel free to ask us in the comment section given below. We would love to solve your doubts.
Alternate Way To Practice Anulom Vilom
Pranayama can be practiced in two variations. We have discussed above 1st method. In the second variation, we inhale, exhale and hold the breath by controlling our mind. In this technique, we do not need to use our hands.
In this technique after practicing Anulom Vilom Pranayama four times, prana Shuddhi (breathing with both the nostrils) is practice once. This practice is very easy, you can even practice it in the office and on the bed. By practicing this type of Anulom Vilom in such a way, there is also purification of Chakras.
Anulom Vilom Pranayama Benefits For Health
Anulom Vilom Pranayam is very helpful phsically and mentally since this is a breathing exercise (Pranayam) and breathing goes to the brain & down to the respiratory system. It can also cure major disease such as heart disease. Here are some advantages of Anulom Vilom Pranayam given below.
- Physical, mental, emotional balance is achieved by doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama.
- All the chemicals imbalance and hormones present inside the body, get balanced by doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama.
- For those who suffer from paralysis, this Pranayam is beneficial for them also.
- This Pranayam is also beneficial for those who have Epilepsy, migraine pain, depression, stress, and anxiety problem.
- Anuloma Viloma Pranayama gives benefits to Heart Patients – It removes the blockages of the heart and makes our heart healthy.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing Pranayama is one of the most important and beneficial Pranayam practice for High Blood Pressure and Low Blood Pressure patient.
- Anulom Vilom Pranayam gives benefits to autoimmune diseases, SLE, MS patients.
- It is also helpful for those who easily get angry over little things.
- Anulom Vilom purifies all the veins and nerves present in the body.
- It releases man from the deficiencies of body, sense, and mind and leads to higher consciousness and the aura become stronger.
- Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique is also beneficial for eyes.
- By doing Anuloma Viloma Pranayama, one can get a healthy facial glow.
Precautions For Anulom Vilom Pranayama
There are certain rules and guides for doing any Yoga Exercise. Without following these rules and guides you cannot achieve its benefits. So it is very important to follow the guidelines as well and should take the precautions while doing Yoga exercise. Here are some Precautions every yogi & yogini should follow.
- If you feel any discomfort doing Anulom Vilom then reduce the duration of breathing.
- Those people who have recently undergone abdomen surgery, brain surgery or heart surgery, should consult the specialist before doing this pranayama.
- Do not do this or any Pranayama forcefully.
- Keep the breathing ratio (2.5 sec: 2.5 sec) of inhaling and exhaling the same.
- During your initial stage or first day do Anulom Vilom Pranayama for 1 min and gradually increase the duration.
- Do this Pranayama after 2-3 hour of your meal.
- Sit in the correct posture while practicing the Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique.
- Do not use the left hand only use the right hand.
Anulom Vilom Pranayam Duration
Whenever you get the time, you can do Anuloma Viloma Pranayama. The ideal duration for Anulom Vilom Pranayam is 5-10 minutes. Initially do this Pranayam for 1 min.
The longer the duration of inhalation and exhalation, the more it will beneficial to you. Long breath does not mean to apply the force to your breathing, it means breathing in slow motion. In incurable diseases, Anulom Vilom Pranayam is done for 20-30 minutes.
Anulom Vilom Ratio
The favorable ratio for Anulom Vilom pranayama is 1:4:1. That means if you take 1 3 second time in inhalation (Puraka), then take 3sec sec time for exhalation (Rechaka) and hold the breath in for 12 sec (Kumbhaka). But if you are a beginner then start with 3:3:3 ratio.
Anuloma Viloma Pranayama Side Effects
There is no side effect of Anulom Vilom Pranayama unless you are doing it in a wrong way. While doing this Pranayam, make sure you start breathing with your left nostril and also finish it by exhaling from your left nose. Follow the above ratio and never practice any breathing exercises forcefully.
FAQs On Anulom Vilom Pranayama
Here are some Frequent Asked Questions based on Anulom Vilom Pranayam (Alternate Nostril Breathing Technique).
Question: What will happen if I practice Anilom Vilom pranayama whole day every day?
Answer: There is no need to practice Anuloma Viloma all day. It should be done for a certain time on the advice of a yoga master. If you are suffering from a serious illness, you can practice it for 30-45 minutes. Practicing it all day can be harmful.
Question: How do I Practice Anuloma Viloma when my nostrils are blocked?
Answer: Anulom Vilom Pranayama can be practiced at three speeds – slow, medium and fast. Due to cold or nasal allergy when your nostrils do not let enough breath in, try to breathe in with a little force. You can also practice Jala Neti to clean your nostrils.
Question: What is the difference between Anulom Vilom and Nadi Shuddhi Pranayama?
Answer: In Anulom Vilom we take breathe from alternate nostrils and Nadi Shuddhi pranayama is a Nadi cleansing breathing exercise. Actually, both are the same to some extent. In scripture, it is known as Nadi Shuddhi and the famous yoga guru Baba Ramdev call it Anulom Vilom.
Question: Why Anulom Vilom is practiced with the right hand only?
Answer: The thumb of our right hand represents the fire element and the right nostril represents the sun. Similarly, the right-hand ring and middle finger represent space and earth elements and the left nostrils represent the Moon.
The interaction between the sun and the fire is good, so the interaction between earth, space, and moon is good. As our both hand fingers represent the same elements, so if we practice Anulom Vilom with left hand then it becomes a combination of fire and moon, which is disbalance of the energy circuit of our body. So always practice Anulom Vilom with the right hand.
Question: What to do first Kapalbhati or Anulom Vilom Pranayam?
Answer: First Kapalbhati and then Anulom Vilom Pranayam. Because Kapalbhati is Yoga Asana and Anulom Vilom is a Pranayama. Yoga Asana should be done first and then Pranayam.