Meaning of Kapalbhati: The meaning of the Kapal is “skull” and “Bhati” means “light”.
Practicing Kapalbhati creates a light, grace, and glow on our forehead. The pranayama, which creates the sharpness or glow of the forehead or the brain, is called Kapalbhati.
Some scholars consider this yoga practice as Pranayam, while other scholars call it the Shathkarma.
It is like Bhastrika Pranayama. In it, the speed of breathing is slow and the strength of the exhaling is strong. Breathe at normal speed and pay attention to the exhalation. Close both the eyes and focus on the Agya Chakra and experience freshness and strength.
When foreign elements are stored in the body, then only diseases are born. While doing Kapalbhati pranayama, think in your mind that all the poisonous substances, oxidants, negative energy are coming out of my body. When there are no toxic substances in the body then there will be no diseases in our body.
Whether you do breakfast in the morning or not, but definitely practice Kapalbhati Pranayam. Take the oath in life that I will not have breakfast before doing Kapalbhati Pranayama. As a result, you will never be sick in your whole life.
You will not need to put any kind of cosmetic to make your face beautiful, you just practice Kapalbhati every day.
In this Breathing Practice, we leave the breath out from our nostrils with power, by doing so our stomach goes inside itself. Those who want to stay healthy and get rid of complex diseases, they should practice Kapalbhati Pranayam every day.
Kapalbhati Pranayam is considered as Sanjivani Booti (Sanjeevini Herb) of the Earth. According to yoga guru Baba Ramdev, there is no such disease in the earth which cannot be cured by Kapalbhati.
Types of Kapalbhati Pranayama
In Hatha Yoga texts, 3 types of Kapalbhati have been described – Vatakrama, Yyutkrama, and Sheetkarma.
It is a matter of note in this that in today’s times, the way we practice Kapalbhati (which we described below) this is not Vatakarma Kapalbhati described by Maharishi Gharana.
In Vaatakarma Kapalbhati, we breathe in from the Ida Nadi (left nostril) and exhale from the Pingala Nadi (right nostril). Again we have to inhale from the Pingala Nadi and then have to exhale from the Ida Nadi. This is like Anulom Vilom.
We have to inhale and exhale slowly in this practice.
Benefits: Cough deficiencies are redressed.
In Vyutkarma, we have to take the water inside from our both nostrils and then have to take the water out of the mouth.
This is opposite of Vyutkarma Kapalbhati. In this, we have take water from the mouth and remove out it from the nostrils.
Benefits: It saves us from cold and cough deficiencies are remedied.
How to do Kapalbhati Pranayama
- Sit in a quiet place where the atmosphere is clean.
- Padmasana or Sukhna or Siddhasan, sit in that posture in which you feel comfortable and keep a gentle smile on your face.
- Face facing towards east direction.
- Leave your body loose, do not put pressure on any part of the body and keep your back straight.
- Now take a light breath and remove it from both your nostrils. When you throw your breath out, your stomach naturally comes in. Just like every time breathe normally and leave it to the outside.
- On the first day, do this pranayama 30 times (1 stroke in 1 second). If you are suffering from hypertension or are heart patients, do not intimidate it.
- While doing Kapalbhati Pranayama, concentrate on the Muladhara Chakra. Focusing on the Muladhara Chakra leads to the awakening of Kundalini.
- When practicing Kapalbhati, think that all the diseases inside me, impurities are coming out.
Duration of Kapalbhati Pranayam
After initializing 30 times you are completely exhausted. Then rest for 10-15 seconds and start again. Do this for 1-2 minutes on the first day and gradually increase the practice every day. The maximum time for this pranayama is 10 minutes and the minimum time is 5 minutes. But in complex diseases like cancer, AIDS, hepatitis, it is practiced twice a day for 20-30 minutes.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Benefits
99% illness can be cured by Kapalbhati breathing. Some health benefits of Kapalbhati breathing techniques are given below.
- Kapalbhati is especially useful in enhancing the aura of the face.
- If you want to reduce obesity, then practice Kapalbhati daily for 10-20 minutes. This pranayama is also effective in weight gain.
- Those who want to get rid of constipation and keep the stomach always healthy, they should definitely practice this pranayama.
- Capillary breathing technique is also beneficial in cirrhosis of liver and acidity.
- This pranayama is very beneficial for the concentration of mind. If children practice it, then their mind will start studying. Therefore, children should also practice this pranayama.
- Those who are suffering from hepatitis B, they should practice Kapalbhati morning and evening every day for 15-30 minutes.
- This breathing technique completely eliminates the problem of the prostate.
- Kapalbhati Pranayam provides benefits even in uterine tumors.
- This pranayama also gives benefits to diabetic patients.
- Beneficial in reducing cholesterol
- Heart problems are also beneficial.
- Those who have problems like sneezing, snoring, allergies, asthma, they should practice Kapalbhati Pranayama.
- Kapalbhati breathing technique also provides benefits in shaking.
- This Pranayam is also capable of melting cancer knots.
- It is also effective in stress.
- Careful while practicing Kapalbhati.
- Do not encroach on your power. When you feel tired, relax for 10-15 seconds.
- Those who have heart problems or have hypertension, they should practice Kapalbhati gradually. Do not exercise fast.
- The person who is weak should also practice this pranayama gradually.
- If you have problems with a hernia, back pain, epilepsy, consult a doctor before practicing this pranayama and practice it easily.
- If you have done a recent operation, then do this pranayama only after 5-6 months of operation.
- Do not practice this pranayama during pregnancy.
- Do not shake your body while practicing.
- If there is any disease related to eye disease or ear, do not practice it.
Kapalbhati Pranayama Side Effects
A headache, dizziness, lack of stability in thoughts, nausea, restlessness are some of its common symptoms. If you feel these symptoms, stop the practice.
FAQs Related to Kapalbhati Pranayam
Ques – Can I gain weight by doing Kapalbhati?
Ans – Yes you can gain weight by practicing Kapalbhati. Practice it for 8-10 min daily by sitting in Prithvi Mudra (connecting ring finger top and thumb top).
Ques – Can I practice Kapalbhati in colitis?
Ans – Yes you can but practice it very slowly.
Ques – Can I practice Kapalbhati in Slip Disc?
Ans – Yes you can. It is not necessary that you practice only by sitting in the ground, you can practice this Pranayam even by sitting in the chair during slip disc problem.
Ques – Can I practice in High Blood Pressure?
Ans – If you do it intensely then it is wrong. If you practice slowly, then high blood loss starts to be normal too.
Ques – Can i practice Kapalbhati after operation?
Ans – Practice Kapalbhati after 6-7 months in the operation of the abdomen and heart.
Ques – Best time to practice Kapalbhati?
Ans – Morning is the best time to practice it. Practice it with the empty stomach or 4-5 hour after the meal.