Udgeeth Pranayama is also called Om Chanting or Omkar Jap or Omkar Chanting. Udgeeth Pranayama is the simplest practice in the process of pranayama which provides maximum benefit to a seeker.
The practice of this pranayama can also be done easily by a child of 4-5 years. In this exercise, you have to chant Om … Om … Om … (AUM).
The music that emerges from life is called Udgeeth and pranayama means ‘expansion of prana’. By practicing pranayama, we get rid of many diseases and can achieve the ultimate goal too.
The person who wants to be free from diseases must do Omkar Chanting every day. Just as a seed produces endless seeds. In the same way, Om is considered to be the source of all Yoga, Meditation, and Pranayama practices.
Maharishi Patanjali says that one who chants Om receives all the divine powers of the world.
Stress is the main cause of 80% of diseases. With the help of ‘Udgeeth pranayama’, all mental illnesses like stress, anxiety can be cured permanently. By chanting Om the person become Inauspicious, Ponderous,
Fearless, Relaxed, and Obstinate.
What Is Omkar Chanting?
Om is a natural sound. There are people who speak different languages in this world. But the sound that comes out from the depth of the throat, that sound is Om.
When our tongue and our lips collide with each other at different time and angle, then there are many types of sounds produced from our mouth. Om is a natural sound that comes out of our throat without any collision. This is the reason a dumb person can also chant Om because it is the raw sound.
Duration Of Udgeeth Pranayama/Omkar Chanting
Take 3-5 seconds of time for breathing and take 3-5 seconds of time during releasing. There is no time limit for Omkar chanting. If you are doing it for the first time, then you may do it for just 3 times on the first day.
After that, extend the duration of your practice each day. After practicing daily, this pranayama can be done for 10-20 minutes without any break.
Best Time To Do Udgeeth Pranayama/Omkar Chanting
Practicing this pranayama before sunrise gives more benefits. If you are not accustomed to getting up early in the morning, you can practice it any time before 8 o’clock. You can practice this pranayama even after 2-3 hours of dinner.
Steps Udgeeth Pranayama/Omkar Chanting
- Find a quiet and clean place where the atmosphere is fresh.
- Sit on Padmasana or Sukhasana or Siddhasana, in which you feel comfortable and have a little smile on the face.
- Sitting on the east side gives more benefits.
- Leave your body loose, there should not be any tension in any part of the body and keep your back straight.
- Connect the tip of Index figure and thumb of both hands, and position it on your knees (Dhyan Mudra).
- Close your eyes and focus on the Agya Chakra. Before beginning the exercise take a deep breath and exhale.
- Now inhale lightly and while exhaling chant Om. Chant this sound complete with a rhythm of OM. (like Oooooooomm… Oooooooomm…). Keep the ratio of inhaling and exhaling 1:2.
- Repeat this process 5-11 times.
Udgeeth Pranayama/Omkar Chanting Benefits
- Omkar chanting is beneficial in insomnia, stress, depression and all types of mental illness.
- If there is any flaw in the body or there is any defect in the body from birth then it can be cured by Udgeeth pranayama.
- Udgeeth Pranayam is also beneficial in heart disease, hypertension, migraine pain, epilepsy etc.
- This yoga practice is also beneficial for patients with schizophrenia.
- By chanting Omkar, the pains in the body can be erased, though the vibrations of Omkar.
- All the infections occurring inside the body come under control by chanting of ‘OM’.
- It enhances the power of the brain, increases the concentration level, keeps the mind calm and steady, helpful in the terrible nightmares, inadequate sleep, etc.
- It detoxes the body.
- Omkar chanting provides proper benefits even in autoimmune diseases.
- Negativity in the body does not allow the daily practice of dance.
- Glow in the face and brightness of the eyes also increases. All types of diseases related to the throat are cured.
Precautions While Practicing Udgeeth Pranayam
- Although there is no harmful effect of Omkar Jap. But doing it improperly can cause some minor problems. If you are still not sure how to do it, then be sure to first learn it from a teacher or guide.
- Take breath according to the ability of the body, do not practice it forcefully.
- Practice it with the empty stomach or after 4-5 hours of the meal.
- Try to do pranayama early in the morning before sunrise, doing so will give you more benefits.
- If you feel tired during the exercise, rest for a while.
- Do not practice pranayama by sitting in the wrong posture.
Udgeeth Pranayam Side Effects
Udgeeth Pranayam has no side effects. According to Yoga Guru Baba Ramdev, anyone can practice this pranayama for several hours. Maharishi Patanjali himself used to practice this for 15-18 hours.